Thursday, January 29, 2015

Product review of CT-UNO by Cytron


I received my CT-UNO, an UNO board made by Cytron and I'm doing a short review on this board.

CT-UNO

The first question is, why another UNO board ?  The answer would be answered in my short review below.

This CT-UNO was used as part of the starter kit during my Penang Mini Maker Faire Arduino workshop in November.

The main factor I really like about this is the Micro-USB port instead of the gigantic USB B plug used by regular Arduino UNO boards. With so many USB micro cables all around, having a USB micro is a good decision made by Cytron.

Secondly, I always like the FTDI USB Serial chip. I'm still using the FTDI Breakout board on a regular basis to program the Arduino Mini Pro ...

FTDI FT23x

On the subject of FTDI board, there is an Android app called FTDI UART Terminal that can accept a FTDI USB-Serial device so that you can plug in the CT-UNO directly to the Android Smatphone and view the Serial Monitor using this app with an USB OTG cable.


CT-UNO with FTDI connected to Android Smarthphone

As per most of the newer UNO board, this is a SMD version of the atmega328P, so you cannot remove the IC.

ATMEGA328 SMD

Another thing I really like about this board is that you can directly solder wires to the pins below the board for permanent connections. Here are some pictures of the CT-UNO on the sides and below the board.

Sides holes

Sie holes
CT-UNO back
Last but not least, this board is "Made in Malaysia", so please support Malaysian made products.
The only thing I didn't like about this board is the white colour of the PCB silkscreen but this is my personal opinion.

Overall, it is a very usable UNO board and very good to view Serial Monitor on Android Smartphone that support USB OTG cable.

It cost RM56 on Cytron online store and RM62 on retail stores.

A special thanks to Vincent Kok for sending me this CT-UNO for review.

Summary Links :-



No comments:

Post a Comment